Friday, May 18, 2012

guilt-free carbs


I remember well a time when I would never have put two starches in one meal.  I've struggled with being overweight my entire adult life, and even before the South Beach craze, which I joined briefly, I intuitively knew that consuming two starches at a meal was probably not helping my waistline.  However, a couple of months ago I was forced by some unpleasant health issues to adopt a wheat-free, gluten-free diet.  I've been up and down in terms of my enthusiasm for the plan.  While at times I feel as though there is nothing at all I can eat, the improvement to my overall well-being since I started eating this way has been undeniable.  And, the fact that I've lost a not insignificant amount of weight gives me the flexibility to eat polenta AND roasted sweet potatoes in the same meal.  Mmmm.


For anyone who might be interested, these were basic roasted vegetables (cauliflower, carrot, sweet potatoes--technically yams, I suppose--and turnips) that I tossed after roasting with some leftover mixed-herb pesto containing mostly parsley, some basil and cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment